Aeration And Overseeding Your Lawn: Why It’s Important & Why Now!
The end of summer is quickly approaching, which is why it’s time to starting thinking about helping your lawn out of the pains of a hot, dry summer! Let’s break it down:
Aeration is a process of puncturing the soil with small holes to allow air, water and nutrients to penetrate the grass roots. This helps the roots grow deeply and produce a stronger, more vigorous stand of grass. The main reason for aerating is to reduce soil compaction.
The other benefits include:
- Helping your lawn breathe
- Reducing water wastage
- Clearing thatch build-up
- Reduced soil compaction
- Improved health of lawn
- Improved resiliency & cushioning
- Improved fertilizer uptake & use
After aeration, it’s also a great idea to overseed.
Overseeding is the spreading of grass seed over already existing turf. This can help the turf renew and fill in bare spots. Since we are located in a region where cool season grasses thrive, this is the best time of year to plant and establish turfgrass.
Here are some benefits to overseeding:
- Improving lawns appearance
- Thickening density of thin lawns
- Filing in areas of grass damaged by summer & insectsAll in all a healthy, strong turf is what will keep insects, disease and heat stress from ruining your lawn.
The folks at Garrick-Santo want to help prepare your lawn for the fall! Contact us to see how we can help you with aeration and overseeding.
Garrick-Santo Landscape Co.
(781) 322-0006 — 110 Eames Street Wilmington, MA 01887
Proudly serving North Suburban Boston, North Shore, Merrimack Valley, Metro West since 1981